Home > 'Go for your life' Healthy Canteen Advisory Service > The canteen menu
The canteen menu
Menu layout and display:
Remember to also change your menu format and display enhance the healthy changes your are making. An attractive-looking menu can help make the healthy changes look new and exciting.
- Make sure the layout, font and prices are clear and easy to read.
- Help students and parents identify healthy menu choices by:
- Placing them at the top of the menu
- Writing them in bold or interesting font
- Including pictures to complement the healthy choices
- Including catchy names.
- Include a “noticeboard” section to communicate regular specials and promotions, messages to parents, or even interesting nutrition facts.
|If your canteen menu still provides some unhealthy, occasional foods, place these all in a box at the bottom of the menu, informing parents that these are unhealthy choices and should be ordered only occasionally (e.g. not every time your child has a lunch order).|
Some schools place smiley symbols beside the healthier choices on the menu for students to use as a guide for selecting healthier menu items and to encourage healthy eating.
Creating a canteen menu from scratch, or want to revamp your menu layout?
You can download a template canteen menu which you can easily adapt for your school:
You can download some sample canteen menus which are reflect seasonal weather:
Need inspiration for your canteen menu? The following schools offer great menus which promote and encourage healthy choices: